Monday, October 12, 2009

Tithing

Every Sunday my mom writes a $50 check to a ministry she feels led to support.

Sometimes it’s our church, sometimes it’s a local youth outreach, and other times it’s publications like Our Daily Bread or Christianity Today.

My mom considers her weekly checks to be her tithe.

Tithing is somewhat of a controversial and confusing topic in the Church today.

We ask questions like, Is tithing an option for Christians, or does God demand it? Can I give my tithe only to the church I attend? Is the traditional idea of giving 10% of my income a hard and fast rule, or is it more of a metaphorical example Jesus provided for us, like forgiving 490 times? If I am to give 10% of my income, is that 10% of my net income or my gross income?

Personally, I think we tend to be like the Pharisees and make tithing too legalistic.

Tithing should be an act of thanksgiving for all God has provided for us, a way to humble ourselves before our Creator and Provider. It is also a way to show God that we trust Him to continue to provide for us in the future. Tithing is, in essence, one way to worship God.

If tithing becomes simply a legalistic ritual, how can we truly worship God with it?

I don’t think we need to always give exactly 10%. I think we should trust God with what He has provided for us and give as much as we can. I don’t think we need to give only to our local church either. We should give to whomever God calls us to give.

Only when our tithing becomes a true act of worship will God bless us for trusting in His provision.

2 comments:

  1. I do not think that you have a grasp on tithing. It is nothing like you suggest. Please check my web site at www.tithing-russkelly.com for over 170 article, one free book and one free video opposing tithing. Russ Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Russell Earl Kelly? Must have found your blog by accident!
    I do think that you are correct in thinking that tithing should not be a legalistic exercise. God has been generous with us, and He wants us to be generous with what we have. And He desires that we take care of those in need in our sphere of influence.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete