Friday, November 6, 2009

That Darn Apple

“No, Eve! Don’t eat that apple! You know what God told us!”
“Oh Adam, you’re right. Serpent, leave me alone, I am going to serve God and God alone.”

What would our lives be like if Adam and Eve hadn’t committed that first sin? Would we all be living in the Garden of Eden eating delicious fruit without having to worry about our weight or what we were wearing?

Probably not.

We all give Adam and Eve a hard time. We say things like,

“Why didn’t they just follow God’s instructions? He made them simple enough. All He said was don’t eat from that one tree. Adam and Eve were so dumb.”

But if we honestly think about it, how many things has God told us that we simply disregard at times.

For example, God said do not lie. Have you ever lied?

God said don’t be jealous. Has that green monster of jealousy simply gotten lost on his way to your mind?

God said love your neighbor as yourself. I bet you never once made fun of that creepy kid in the 6th grade who still wet the bed.

Ok…ok. I’ll stop.

Obviously, we’ve all given in to the serpent in one way or another. We’ve all blatantly done something that God specifically told us not to do.

So, although I’d like to blame Adam and Eve for my overfilled closet and my fear of the bathroom scale, I really can’t.

Even if Adam or Eve hadn’t sinned, one of us dumb people would have done it sooner or later.

1 comment:

  1. If the ability to choose whether or not to sin is part of our created natures, then you're probably correct—even if Adam and Eve had not sinned, then someone else would have. I keep wondering, though, about what part of our nature is inherited from them and what part is the free will God gave us.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete